Friday, May 18, 2012

Third guest joins Precision Studio Group during Vermont Open Studio Tour




     Cheryl Wisell of The Mountain Fiber Folk Cooperative will be joining me at my studio for the Vermont Craft Council's 20th Open Studio Tour, Memorial Day weekend, Saturday and Sunday 10-5.
     Cheryl resides in Montgomery, Vermont and raises sheep with her husband David. Their farm, "Buzz & Honey's Fleecy Flock" will be open this coming weekend, Sunday, May 20th during "A Farm to Yarn Tour". You may find more information about this particular tour at  www.travelthekingdom.com.
     Then, after this weekend, she will be sitting at my studio during Memorial Day Weekend to demonstrate spinning yarn with a drop spindle, and a Vermont-made spinning wheel. She will also have samples of her work. The adorable kitten slippers above are knit and then felted. She will explain the process of felting for those who are interested.
     Cheryl also dyes her own yarn, with natural and some synthetic dyes, and sometimes "hand paints" yarn.
The photo above is a whimsical knit hat with some very creative knotting. Cheryl also felts and knits purses- and they are quite lovely. I think one of my favorite things are the felted acorn ornaments with real acorn caps glued on to the felted part of the nut. Very cute, very clever- and what a nice gift to tuck away now and bring out for the holiday.
    You may ask why someone so far away is sitting with me at my studio? Well, Cheryl Wisell is my sister!
And it gives me great pride and pleasure to have her join our group of artists during this Vermont Open Studio Tour! Hope to see you all there!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment